Youth Leadership Derby is an experience for high-school students ages 15-18
to explore potential agriculture careers through hands-on labs and interactive learning sessions. Students will develop leadership skills and make new friends along the way. The 2018 program is packed with amazing opportunities where students will “dive in, dissect and discover dairy!”
Workshops at UW-Madison
- Dissect udders, led by Dr. Laura Hernandez, UW Madison
- Dissect lungs, led Dr. Theresa Ollivett, UW Vet School
- Discover farm bugs led by PJ Lietsch, aka “The Bug Guy”
- Explore food science Center for Dairy Research (CDR)
Behind the Scenes Tour Sassy Cow Creamery
- Hear from the Baerwolf family and understand what it is like to manage a farm and a creamery.
- Tour the creamery and dairy farm milking parlor.
Kevin “Atlas” Laue
The first basketball player missing a limb to play NCAA Division 1 shares his story of triumph to help change attitudes and perspectives.
Natalina’s passion for agriculture lead to a year of traveling the 50 states to document heartfelt stories from farmers for the “Why I Farm” campaign.
Wisconsin’s 70th Alice in Dairyland hails from a registered Holstein dairy farm in Manitowoc county, and she is now promoting Wisconsin agriculture.
- $89 Registration Fee
- April 7-8, 2018
- Oregon High School, Oregon, Wis.
Overnight, lock-in event