Workshops provide successful herd management strategies based on current research
Iowa dairy producers have the opportunity to learn about emerging dairy industry issues during 2019 Dairy Days. The workshops, hosted by Iowa State University Extension and Outreach dairy specialists, will be held at seven eastern Iowa locations between Jan. 21 and Feb. 7.
“The ISU Extension and Outreach dairy team conducts this workshop to provide the latest research to Iowa’s dairy producers,” said Jennifer Bentley, dairy specialist with ISU Extension and Outreach. “Our goal is to help producers make sound herd management decisions that are backed by current and relevant information.”
- Early Season Crop Scouting for Corn and Alfalfa.
- Silage Inoculants – What They Do and Why They Are Needed.
- Robotic Milking Update – Management and Economics.
- Hygiene – How Clean Is Your Calf Kitchen?
- Heifer Economics – How Many and How Much?
“This day-long program offers producers an opportunity to hear up-to-date information. They can also talk with our speakers for answers to their specific situations,” said Bentley.
2019 Dairy Days dates and locations
- Jan. 21 – Windy Tree Cafe, 101 E. Main Street, Riceville.
- Jan. 22 – ISU Extension and Outreach office, 218 South Main, Fayette.
- Jan. 23 – Civic Center, 200 1st Street NE, Waverly.
- Feb. 4 – ISU Extension and Outreach office, 402 E. North Street, Bloomfield.
- Feb. 5. – Chamber of Commerce, 514 B. Ave., Kalona.
- Feb. 6 – Neumann’s Bar and Grill, 927 Main Street, Holy Cross.
- Feb. 7 – River Valley Co-op, 605 Franklin Street, Ryan.
Registration starts at 9:30 a.m. and the program will conclude by 2:30 p.m. A $15 registration fee covers the noon meal and proceedings costs. Pre-registration is requested by the Friday before each event to reserve a meal. Online registration is available. Vouchers for the event may be available at your local agri-service providers or veterinarian’s office.
For more information contact your ISU Extension and Outreach county office or an extension dairy specialist, Jennifer Bentley at 563-382-2949 or Larry Tranel at 563-583-6496.