Weather creates challenges for spring fertility
Weather conditions halted nitrogen applications last fall, and with a wet start to spring, it’s likely farmers’ fertilizer plans will remain behind schedule. With March in full swing, farmers may soon need to weigh options on how and when to apply nitrogen and still hit optimum planting dates.
Mycogen Seeds commercial agronomists say there are still several valid options for farmers to apply the required nitrogen.
Applying N Post-planting
Farmers may want to do a burndown and get in the field as soon as possible, skipping pre-planting nitrogen applications. If opting for a post-planting application, Mycogen agronomists recommend:
- Increase starter fertilizer rates, applying 2×2 and not in-furrow to avoid seedling damage. Rates can be increased from 15 gallons up to 25 to 30 gallons in this scenario.
- Apply in-season through split-dry applications up to the six-leaf stage, chemigating, or liquid nitrogen up to V5 or V6.
Planting up to mid-May achieves 90 percent yield potential for corn. If farmers get a window of dry weather in the first couple weeks of April, there’s still time to apply anhydrous before planters roll. Recommendations in this scenario include:
- Apply anhydrous at least 8 inches into the soil to avoid seeding damage.
- Use a nitrogen stabilizer. A stabilizer can keep nitrogen in the soil and make it available for when corn plants need it most.
- Wait five to seven days following an anhydrous application to plant.
For more information and to explore nitrogen application options, visit your local retailer or visit Mycogen.com.
About Mycogen Seeds
About Corteva Agriscience™, Agriculture Division of DowDuPont
Corteva Agriscience™, Agriculture Division of DowDuPont (NYSE: DWDP), is intended to become an independent, publicly traded company when the previously announced spinoff is complete by June 2019. The division combines the strengths of DuPont Pioneer, DuPont Crop Protection and Dow AgroSciences. Corteva Agriscience provides growers around the world with the most complete portfolio in the industry — including some of the most recognized brands in agriculture: Pioneer®, Encirca®, the newly launched Brevant™ seeds, as well as award-winning Crop Protection products — while bringing new products to market through our solid pipeline of active chemistry and technologies. More information can be found at www.corteva.com.