The California Department of Food and Agriculture‘s (CDFA) Pest Exclusion Branch is announcing thirteen (13) vacancies on the Industrial Hemp Advisory Board (IHAB). There are currently eleven (11) board members with terms of office expiring on May 31, 2020 and Senate Bill 153 added two (2) additional board members, effective January 1, 2020.
The Board advises CDFA and makes recommendations on matters including, but not limited to, industrial hemp seed law and regulations, enforcement, annual budgets, and the setting of an assessment rate. The term of office for board members is three years. Members meet at least once per year but may meet more frequently if needed. The members receive no compensation but are entitled to payment of necessary traveling expenses in accordance with the rules of the California Department of Human Resources.
The Board has the following vacancies:
- Five (5) of the board members shall be registered cultivators of industrial hemp.
- Two (2) board members shall be members of an established agricultural research institution (as defined in FAC § 81000).
- One (1) board member shall be a representative as provided by the California State Sheriffs’ Association and approved by the secretary.
- One (1) board member shall be a county agricultural commissioner.
- One (1) board member shall be a representative of the Hemp Industries Association or its successor industry association.
- Two (2) members shall be representatives of businesses that sell industrial hemp products.
- One (1) board member shall be a member of the public.
The successful candidates will be appointed to serve a three-year term that expires May 31, 2023.
Individuals interested in being considered for these Board appointments should send a letter of interest, indicating which position(s) they are eligible to fill, and a brief resumé to Michelle Phillips by March 15, 2020 at:
California Department of Food and Agriculture
Pest Exclusion Branch
1220 N Street
Sacramento, CA 95814
Attention: Michelle Phillips
For additional information, visit the Industrial Hemp Program webpage at: https://www.cdfa.ca.gov/plant/industrialhemp/, contact the Nursery, Seed, and Cotton Program at (916) 654-0435, or send an email to [email protected].