Persons who have a strong desire to pursue a career in managing and/or marketing Registered Jersey™ cattle are encouraged to apply for the 2021 Fred Stout Experience awards.
Awards will be made for two paid internships, one with Jersey Marketing Service, Reynoldsburg, Ohio, and the other an on-farm, customized experience on a Jersey dairy operation. The awards, provided by a permanent endowment created by friends and colleagues of Fred Stout, will pay for housing, travel and related activities required by the cooperating employer up to the maximum amount of the scholarship award.
Applicants must have completed their high school education. To apply, visit http://bit.do/Stout-Experience to download the application. Interested applicants will answer a series of questions stating your ambitions, goals and career aspirations, including plans for achieving them. A one-page résumé listing previous work experience, education, activities and awards is also needed.
Two letters of support are required, one from an active breeder of Registered Jersey™ cattle, excluding immediate family members; and the other from a teacher, mentor or past employer. These must be mailed directly by the supporters to the AJCA office.
Previous recipients of the Fred Stout Experience Award are Tara Bohnert, Illinois (2003); Allison Waggoner, South Carolina (2004); Dan Bauer, Wisconsin (2005); Aaron Horst, Pennsylvania (2006); Jacob Pieper, Maryland (2007); Katie Albaugh, Maryland (2008); Brady Core, Kentucky (2009); Kim Wilson, Missouri and Ivy Roberts, Florida (2010); Joseph Fjarlie, Wisconsin and Amy Maxwell, Iowa (2011); Robert McGarry, Vermont and Lyman Rudgers, New York (2012); Meagan Bolen, Ohio and Wyatt Smith, Minnesota (2013); Olivia Pearson, North Carolina and Meagan Chittenden, York (2014); Tyler French, South Carolina and Gerret Boer, Texas (2015); Austin Woods, Wisconsin and Laura Bell (2016); Tyler Kirchdoerfer, Missouri and Blake Koehn, Oklahoma (2017); Amanda LoRusso, Connecticut (2018); Brennan Topp, Ohio and Abigail Grimm, Minnesota (2019).
The 2020 recipients, Hannah Diehl, McVeytown, Pa., and Maria Joy Poock, Boonville, Mo., will fulfill their respective experiences at a later date. Their summer experiences were postponed due to COVID-19.
About the National Jersey Youth Programs
Organized in 1868, the American Jersey Cattle Association has sponsored educational programs and activities for young people interested in the Jersey breed since 1917. Junior members have the same registration privileges as Lifetime Members, and also the incentives of a comprehensive program leading to national recognition for their achievements with Jersey cattle. These programs include:
- Free membership in the association until the youth’s 21st birthday;
- the National Jersey Youth Production Contest and Pot O’Gold Sale, which create incentives for keeping production and management records;
- the National Jersey Youth Achievement Contest, the ultimate recognition for Jersey youth between the ages of 16 and 20; national scholarships that help pay for hands-on work experiences and college educations;
- The All American Junior Jersey Show, providing the thrill of competition in the largest show of Registered Jerseys™ in the world and introductions to lifelong friends from across the United States; and
- Jersey Youth Academy, an intensive educational program held biannually at the association’s headquarters in Columbus, Ohio.