Organizers of the California Dairy Sustainability Summit have opened registration and announced speakers, sponsors, and event partners for the 2020 event.
Early bird registration is now open for the California Dairy Sustainability Summit taking place March 25-26, 2020, at Cal Expo in Sacramento. The Summit, co-hosted by Dairy Cares, California Milk Advisory Board, Dairy Council of California, California Dairy Quality Assurance Program, and the California Dairy Research Foundation, will bring together hundreds of California dairy farmers, state officials, technology providers and other key stakeholders to promote dairy sustainability and develop new business opportunities.
“California’s dairy families are proud to provide consumers with nutritious and affordable foods, while continually reducing our environmental footprint,” said Charles “Chuck” Ahlem, a dairy farmer and board member for three of the hosting organizations. “We look forward to another opportunity to bring hundreds of dairy farmers together to share best practices, discuss challenges and develop proactive solutions.”
The California dairy sector is the nation’s largest and supports about 180,000 California jobs. California dairy families are on track to achieve a world-leading goal for reducing dairy methane emissions, while working to boost additional areas of environmental performance. Ninety-nine percent of California dairy farms are owned and operated by local families, all working to ensure their operations remain sustainable, both environmentally and economically.
The Summit is dedicated to promoting widespread development, investment and adoption of technologies and strategies to reduce greenhouse gas emissions, improve water conservation and protection, enhance air quality, and address rising labor and energy costs, all while optimizing cow health and comfort. The inaugural summit brought together more than 650 attendees, including 200 dairy farmers, solution providers, and California regulators and stakeholders. Cohosts and event partners look forward to expanding the event’s impact in 2020.
“I was impressed with the number of farmers who attended last year. It shows that we are looking ahead and trying to make the most out of the decisions we are making so our farms remain sustainable, both environmentally and financially. We are working together, and we have a positive story to share. The California Dairy Sustainability Summit allows us to do that,” said Simon Vander Woude, a dairy farmer and chairman of California Dairies, Inc.
- Ermias Kebreab, PhD, Professor and Sesnon Endowed Chair in Sustainable Animal Agriculture, University of California, Davis
- Rick Smith, Chief Executive Officer, Dairy Farmers of America
- Ashley Rosales, Program Director of Nutrition Sciences, Dairy Council of California
- Phil Lempert, Founder and CEO, The Lempert Report, Retail Dietitians Business Alliance
- Brad Anderson, Chief Operating Officer and Incoming President and CEO, California Dairies, Inc.
- Gregory Miller, PhD, Global Chief Science Officer, National Dairy Council
- Karen Ross, Secretary, California Department of Food and Agriculture
- Frank Mitloehner, PhD, Professor and Air Quality Specialist, University of California, Davis
- Susan Eggman, Assemblymember, California State Assembly
The California Dairy Sustainability Summit would not be possible without the support of its sponsors. Confirmed sponsors include Aequion, California Bioenergy, Hilmar Cheese Company, Laird Manufacturing, Luhdorff & Scalmanini Consulting Engineers, DeLaval, Farm Credit, Modesto Dairy Solutions, California State Water Resources Control Board, Maas Energy Works, Save Our Planet, and US Farm Systems.
The California Dairy Sustainability Summit, taking place March 25-26, 2020, at Cal Expo in Sacramento, is co-hosted by Dairy Cares, California Milk Advisory Board, Dairy Council of California, California Dairy Quality Assurance Program, and California Dairy Research Foundation. Event partners include the California Dairy Campaign, California Dairies, Inc., Dairy Farmers of America – Western Area, Dairy Institute of California, Hilmar Cheese Company, Land O’ Lakes, Milk Producers Council, Producer’s Dairy, Joseph Gallo Farms, California Farm Bureau Federation, and Western States Dairy Producers Association. Learn more at CADairySummit.com.
- Dairy Cares (DairyCares.com) is a statewide coalition with a mission to ensure the long-term sustainability of California’s dairy farm families through strong environmental stewardship and responsible animal care. Members include California’s farmer-owned milk cooperatives, privately-owned milk processors, and trade associations.
- For twenty years, the award-winning California Dairy Quality Assurance Program (CDQAP) (CDRF.org/cdqap) has worked as a partnership between the dairy industry, academia, and others to provide science-based education and third-party certifications, promoting the health of consumers, the environment, and the health and welfare of dairy animals.
- The California Dairy Research Foundation (CDRF) (CDRF.org) is an independent non-profit organization that leads and delivers research and science-based programs towards a more innovative and sustainable California industry.