Farm Credit Northeast AgEnhancement Program recently awarded $61,700 to 27 organizations to promote northeast agriculture, support young and beginning farmer initiatives and fund agricultural youth programs.
The Farm Credit Northeast AgEnhancement Program is a joint effort of Farm Credit East, Yankee Farm Credit and CoBank. Since its inception in 1996, Farm Credit Northeast AgEnhancement has awarded more than $2.1 million through 773 grants.
Recent grant recipients
- A $10,000 grant to the Eastern States Exposition will support the annual FFA Star Farmer program.
- The Trust to Conserve Northeast Forestlands/The Professional Logging Contractors of Maine received a $7,600 grant to support logger training.
- A $5,000 grant was awarded to the National Women in Agriculture Association to host its eighth national conference in New Haven, Conn.
- Rutgers Society of Animal Science received a $4,000 grant to host the American Science/American Dairy Science Association Northeast Student Affiliate Competition.
- A $3,100 grant to Annie’s Project will support management training for New Jersey women producers.
- Gulf of Maine Research Institute received a $3,000 grant to support its LabVenture program to educate Maine’s youth about fisheries.
- A $3,000 grant to the Vermont Holstein Association will support the Northeast Youth Show Calf Summit.
- Community Boating Center received a $2,000 grant to support an educational program for youth in Southeastern Massachusetts interested in aquaculture careers.
- Granite State FFA received a $2,000 grant to support student awards for youth achievement in agriculture.
- A $2,000 grant to the New Bedford Fishing Heritage Center will support programming to help youth gain a better understanding of opportunities in the fishing industry.
- New York Holstein Association received a $2,000 grant to support the Richard Keene Memorial Dairy Judging contest at the New York Spring Carousel for children and young adults.
- A $2,000 grant to the New York State Ag Society Foundation will support the attendance of college student and young professional ambassadors to attend its annual forum.
- New York Farm Bureau received a $2,000 grant to support a keynote speaker and young farmer tours at its Young Farmers and Ranchers Leadership Conference.
- Intervale Center received a $1,500 grant to support its beginning farmer and land access programs.
- A $1,500 grant to the Vermont Horse Council will be used to study the economic impact of the equine industry in Vermont.
- $1,000 grants were awarded to the following organizations to carry out projects and programming specific to their respective missions:
American Farmland Trust
- Central New York Fiber Artists and Producers
- Cornucopia Project
- Farmsteads of New England
- Hudson Valley Textile Project
- Livestock Foundation
- New Entry Sustainable Farming Project
- New Jersey Junior Breeder Program
- Organization for Refugee and Immigrant Success
Additionally, $500 grants were received by Capital Roots to identify economic development opportunities and the NH Food Alliance to implement the Farm, Fish and Food Enterprise Viability Initiative.
Farm Credit Northeast AgEnhancement Program
- Created: 1996
- Total grant dollars since 1996: $2,106,953
- Total projects supported: 773
- Proposal submission dates: April 1, August 1, December 1
- Contact: Jill Eyre, Farm Credit East, 615 Minot Avenue, Auburn, Maine 04210
- Phone: 800.831.4230
- Send funding proposals to: AgEnhancement@FarmCreditEast.com
For more information: FarmCreditEast.com/Industry-Support.aspx