Farm Credit East recently awarded $19,900 in scholarships to support the attendance of 20 educators to Curriculum for Agricultural Science Education (CASE) programs where they will learn curriculum to teach CASE courses to high school students in Farm Credit East’s territory.
CASE is a project of the National Association of Agricultural Educators. CASE courses integrate science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) concepts with hands-on, inquiry-based learning. Since 2009, CASE has certified 1,369 teachers from 41 states, including 51 teachers from the Northeast states Farm Credit East serves.
“Farm Credit East is committed to supporting the next generation of Northeast agriculture. This investment in continued teacher education will have a multiplier impact by helping to further develop and inspire the next generation of agricultural leaders,” said Michael Brooks, Farm Credit East director and chair of the Board’s AgInitiative Committee.
Ten of the teachers awarded with scholarships will attend the Introduction to Agriculture, Food and Natural Resources (AFNR) institute. Other teachers will be attending courses in Animal Science, Food Science and Safety, Natural Resources and Ecology, Environmental Sciences, and Agricultural Research and Development.
The teachers receiving scholarships include:
· Todd Hofheins, Oakfield-Alabama Central School, NY
· Deanna Miller, Woodstown Pilesgrove Regional School, NJ
· Jessica Jones, Attica Central School, NY
· Brooke Head, Homer Central School, NY
· Jennifer Shields, Southington Public Schools, Conn.
· Jessica DeVries, Unadilla Valley Central School, NY
· Anna Leiss, Groton Central School, NY
· Laura Pinhas, Sussex County Technical School, NJ
· Taylor Clifford, Galway Central School, NY
· Patricia Thorne, Cumberland Regional School, NJ
· Nichole Hirt, Indian River Central School, NY
· Marisa Bedron, Connecticut Region 14 Schools, Conn.
· Nicole Smith, Cumberland Regional School, NJ
· Michelle Barber, Attica Central School, NY
· Kylie Smith, Pavilion Central School, NY
· Hannah Milligan, Warsaw Central School, NY
· Sarah-Jen Oliver, Suffield Public Schools, Conn.
· Aaron Fiordimondo, Delran Township School, NJ
· Jeffrey Parnapy, Byron-Bergen Central School, NY
· Cathryn Dymond, Ostelic Valley Central School, NY