Farm Credit East, a farmer-owned cooperative, recently released its 2018 industry outlook report. This report addresses market outlooks for multiple industries, including dairy, grain, vegetables, fruit, greenhouse and nursery, commercial fisheries, and forest products. It also provides information on crop insurance, consumer buying behavior for ag retailers and an update on the Food Safety Modernization Act.
“Northeast farmers, commercial fishermen and forest products businesses face both challenges and opportunities in the year ahead, and operators need industry insights to effectively manage in today’s fast-paced business climate,” said Bill Lipinski, Farm Credit East CEO. “Farm Credit East aims to provide producers with the knowledge and expertise needed to inform their business decisions, so we’ve tapped into our network of experts, both internal and external, to produce this year’s report. We hope it provides useful insights as producers plan for the year ahead.”
The report opens with an article from Farm Credit East chief business officers on assessing whether a businesses’ management structure is appropriate for its size and complexity. The report also provides an analysis of what the new tax law means for Northeast agriculture and a look at the impact of crop insurance in the Northeast. Additionally, Farm Credit East Director of Knowledge Exchange, Chris Laughton, provides economic outlooks for various Northeast agriculture industries, as well as commercial fishing and forest products.
In addition, the report features ten short perspective papers from academic and industry thought leaders, including:
- Dr. Patrick Westhoff, University of Missouri, provides a grain and oilseed outlook.
- Ben Laine, CoBank, takes a look at the outlook for the dairy industry.
- Dr. Charles Hall, Texas A&M, provides an outlook for greenhouse and nursery.
- Desmond O’Rourke, Belrose, Inc., presents an apple outlook for 2018 and beyond.
- Dr. Bradley Rickard, Cornell University, provides an outlook for northeast vegetable crops.
- Doctors Jie Li and Miguel I. Gómez, Cornell University, provide an overview of controlled environment agriculture.
- Eric Kingsley, INRS, Maine, presents the Northeast forest products outlook.
- Hank Soule, Sustainable Harvest Sector Cooperative, Maine, presents an outlook for Northeast fisheries.
- Chris Wayne, GrowNYC, provides insights into consumer behavior at farmers’ markets.
- Gretchen Wall, Cornell University, provides an update on the FSMA Produce Safety Rule.