Farm Credit East, a farmer-owned cooperative, recently released its 2019 industry outlook report. This report addresses market outlooks for multiple industries, including dairy, grain, vegetables, apples, greenhouse and nursery, lobster, and forest products. It also includes articles on crop insurance and business management.
“Northeast farmers, commercial fishermen and forest products businesses continue to think strategically about their businesses and are adjusting their businesses to grow, cut costs and take advantage of new market opportunities,” said Bill Lipinski, Farm Credit East CEO. “Farm Credit East aims to provide producers with the knowledge and expertise needed to inform their business decisions, so we’ve tapped into our network of experts, both internal and external, to produce this year’s report. We hope it provides useful insights for producers to effectively manage their operations in today’s fast-paced business climate.”
In addition, the report features seven short outlook papers from academic and industry thought leaders, including:
- Dr. Patrick Westhoff, University of Missouri, provides a grain and oilseed outlook.
- Ben Laine, CoBank, takes a look at the outlook for the dairy industry.
- Dr. Charles Hall, Texas A&M, provides a green industry outlook.
- Desmond O’Rourke, Belrose, Inc., presents an apple outlook for 2019 and beyond.
- Dr. Bradley Rickard, Cornell University, provides an outlook for Northeast vegetable crops.
- Eric Kingsley, INRS, Maine, presents the Northeast forest products outlook.
- Hank Soule, Sustainable Harvest Sector Cooperative, Maine, presents an outlook for the Northeast lobster industry.