New grants will help support dairy improvement projects
“With so many dairy producers looking to make improvements on their operations, the Dairy Excellence grant will help support enhancements that can make a real difference toward achieving your goals related to milk production, cow comfort, and profitability,” said Melissa Anderson, Programs and Operations Manager at the Center. “This is a competitive grant with a limited window to apply, so we encourage producers to apply when the program opens on March 1.”
Improvement projects can include anything related to improving dairy farm efficiency, cow comfort, milking facilities, housing facilities, or feeding systems. The project should focus on improving milk production per cow and/or enhancing overall farm profitability and efficiency.
Examples of projects might include:
- Fans, sprinklers or misters in free stall or tie stall barns
- Curtains or other ventilation improvements
- Mattresses or construction to move to deep bedded sand stalls
- Variable speed pulsation
- Cow brush or foot bath installation
To participate in the Dairy Excellence Grant program, dairy farms must complete an application. A $100 application fee is required upon submission but will be reimbursed if the application is not accepted. As part of the application process, dairy producers will be required to:
- Know their cost of production
- Be compliant with the National FARM Program or a similar program
- Have a Conservation and Nutrient Management Plan in place
- List two consultants/advisors who work with their farm (nutritionist, accountant, veterinarian, etc.)
- Explain how the improvement will help their overall operation and aid in milk production per cow, efficiency and/or cow comfort
Grant recipients will be notified by April 25, 2021. Expenses/invoices must be submitted by June 30, 2021.
To apply, visit www.centerfordairyexcellence.org/dairy-excellence-grants to submit your application online or download a printed application. Applications will only be accepted from March 1-31, 2021. Contact Melissa Anderson at firstname.lastname@example.org or 717-636-0779 for more information.