Curd Your Enthusiasm ?: It’s National Cheese Curd day is Monday, Oct 15th
TOP 10 “Did You Know?” Wisconsin Cheese Curd Fun Facts
In Wisconsin, we all know one thing for certain: cheese curds are irresistible. Once you taste them, it’s almost impossible to stop craving their signature squeak. However, there is much more to know about these delectable little morsels. Why do they squeak? How are they made? We’re here to help you become a scholar of curds! Here are ten things you (probably) didn’t know about Wisconsin cheese curds:
- Milk it Up: Wisconsin cheese curds get their fresh flavor from top-quality Wisconsin milk. It takes 10 pounds of milk to make one pound of cheese.
- The Snack that Squeaks: Fresh cheese curds will make a squeaky sound as you bite into them, but why? The elastic protein strands in the curds rub against the enamel of your teeth to create that characteristic sound.
- Fresh is Best: The “squeak” is also a sign of curd freshness. And by fresh we mean they were made less than two days ago.
- No Curd Left Behind: If you don’t eat all of your curds within two days, you can restore the squeak by microwaving them for a few seconds. (You are also blessed with immaculate impulse control.)
- Variety is the Spice of Life: Cheese curds can be white or yellow because they are typically made from white or yellow cheddar cheese, and they come in many flavors. Aside from the traditional cheddar curds or occasional muenster curds, you can also find fresh cheese curds in flavors like garlic, spicy Cajun, taco or mild ranch.
- Curd Lover’s Dreams Come True: There’s an entire festival dedicated to cheese curds where you can celebrate, admire and eat Wisconsin cheese curds.
- Cheese Law: You must have a license to make cheese in Wisconsin and Wisconsin is the only place outside of Europe where you can pursue an elite Master Cheesemaker certification (which takes approximately 13 years). You’ll find some of the very best curds in Wisconsin.
- Curd Ambassador: Culver’s, the popular Wisconsin-based restaurant is the unofficial cheese curd ambassador, selling millions of their infamous fried curds a year.
- Taking Bets: It’s near impossible to eat less than five Wisconsin cheese curds, the cheesy goodness is addicting- you’ve been warned!
***Still hungry to learn more? For more information, check out: WisconsinCheese.com