This is a reminder, beginning September 1, the application of nitrogen fertilizer in the fall and on frozen soil will be restricted in areas vulnerable to groundwater contamination. This will also apply to Drinking Water Supply Management Areas (DWSMAs) with elevated nitrate levels.
1. an area with vulnerable groundwater (purple area on map) or
2. those areas around a public well with high nitrate, (green area on map) you may not apply nitrogen fertilizer in the fall and on frozen soil.
Some exceptions apply, view Part 1 of the Groundwater Protection Rule for more information.
MDA staff have prepared a presentation to explain the Groundwater Protection Rule, where the nitrogen fertilizer restrictions apply, and the exceptions to the rule. View the prerecorded presentation or join us for a live webinar through WebEx on August 12, 2020.
- Options to learn more:
1. View a recorded video online
2. Join us for a live webinar August 12 (10:00 – 11:00 am)
(webinar will be recorded and posted online)
3. Visit the Groundwater Protection Rule website.
4. Or contact Larry Gunderson at Larry.Gunderson@state.mn.us or