Classes will help farmers prepare for everything from natural disasters to social media
A new workshop & webinar series “Modern On-Farm Preparedness” is ready to begin at the end of January. These classes will help farmers prepare for everything from natural disasters to activist attacks on farm social media accounts.
Six consecutive Thursday afternoons: January 23 – February 27. Attend all sessions or individual sessions. Registration is $10 per session or $50 for all six sessions. Webinars can be accessed at the local site or signed in anywhere from a mobile device or computer.
Presenting organizations: Cornell Cooperative Extension, NY State Cattle Health Assurance Program, American Dairy Association, and New York Center for Agricultural Medicine and Health.
DATES AND LOCATIONS
- Jan 23 – Preparedness for Urgent Situations. Be prepared for a fire, weather emergency or barn damage. Old Acres Farm, 7863 Route 39, Perry, 1 – 4 pm.
- Jan 30 – F.A.R.M 4.0 Update. The F.A.R.M program is evolving as farmers implement the program. Learn about how farmers have used and gained benefits and how you can use the FARM program. Webinar, CCE Orleans County, Albion: 1 – 2 pm.
- Feb 6 – Activist Preparedness. This session will address good hiring practices, available resources for support, and a plan of who to contact if something happens on your farm. Learn how to talk about activist videos and how to prepare your employees for these events. Webinar, CCE Genesee County, Batavia 1 – 2 pm.
- Feb 13 – Social Media Preparedness. How to respond to negative comments on farm pages. Resources and people you can call for effective responses. Lamb Farms, 6880 Albion Rd. Oakfield, 1 – 4 pm.
- Feb 20 – Disease Outbreaks and Biosecurity. Dr. Melanie Hemenway, State Veterinarian, will provide concrete steps to deal with disease outbreaks and make biosecurity recommendations for prevention. Webinar, CCE Wyoming County, Warsaw: 1 – 2 pm.
- Feb 27 – On Farm Safety-Prevention, Prevention, Prevention. Yet accidents still happen. This session will focus on prevention and also address accident response. Breezyhill Dairy, 2705 N Sheldon Rd. Strykersville, 1 – 4 pm.
Information on locations and registration: