The Northeast Dairy Association, Inc. (NDA) has announced 10 scholarship recipients to college students for the 2018-19 academic year totaling $15,000. Applicants must be an immediate family member of a current NDA member company or student member of NDA, enrolled for the 2018-19 academic year as a full-time student with a minimum of 12 credit hours, and have a GPA of 2.50 or greater to be eligible.
The NDA Scholarship Committee awarded five $2,000 scholarships to students whose majors are related to the dairy/food industry or an agriculture program related to the dairy/food industry;
• Eric Bates, Cobleskill, NY: Senior, Animal Science, Cornell University
• Lilyanna Berghorn, Akron, NY: Sophomore, Animal Science, Cornell University
• Jenna Freyer, North Syracuse, NY: Junior, Food Science, Ohio State University
• Rachel Turck, Litchfield, MN: Senior, Farm Operation & Management with Dairy Emphasis, Ridgewater College
• Yiren Yue, Amherst, MA: Senior, Food Science, University of Massachusetts, Amherst
Additionally, the Scholarship Committee awarded five $1,000 scholarships for students studying any major;
• Madeline Hanford, Clarence State, NY: Senior, Environmental Engineering, Michigan State University
• Lily Daily, Lexington, KY: Junior, Communication Sciences and Disorders, University of Kentucky
• Ryan Burnham, Fairport, NY: Senior, Computer Science and Mathematics, Clarkson University
• Bailey Klein, North East, PA: Junior, Biomedical Engineering, Penn State University
• Emily Roloson, Castleton, NY: Sophomore, Biomedical Engineering, University of Virginia Bruce W. Krupke, Executive Vice
Ozzie Orsillo, President of Northeast Dairy Association, Inc., said “the Northeast Dairy Association is honored and pleased to present these students with a scholarship this year. We encourage young people to continue their studies, especially those seeking a career in the dairy industry, and wish them all the best of luck.”
“I am very honored to receive this award,” said Eric Bates. “The most passionate and generous people I know have roots in the dairy industry. This scholarship will be a tremendous help as I continue my studies.”
“Thank you NDA for the support for the coming school year and enabling me to continue my education,” said Ryan Burnham.
Scholarship information is made available each year after February 1st with applications due by June 1st and can be found on the association’s website at neastda.org. Funding for the scholarships come directly from the association’s annual dairy industry clambake, members’ dues supporting the association, and sponsorship of annual dairy industry events to help fund the scholarships each year.
The Northeast Dairy Association, Inc. is located in Syracuse, NY and is a full-service trade group representing vendors and supplier companies selling to and service dairy product processors, manufacturers and distributors in the northeast United States since 1932.