Held January 15 through March 15 2021
Cornell PRO-DAIRY is offering a seven-week online Forage Management Course January 15 through March 15, 2021. Registration is $265.00 per person. A discount of $25 applies for registrations competed before January 2.
The Forage Management Course will begin with agronomic factors that influence forage quality and follow key strategies for harvest, preservation and feed out of quality feed. It will be valuable for decision makers and key employees in the cropping and feeding system on the farm. The course will include a mix of basic “101” level material combined with more advanced concepts and recent research findings.
Who Should Attend?
This course will focus on practical information for day to day management and decision making of forage crops from crop selection to feed out on a dairy farm. Aspects of the course will be specific to Northeast U.S. growing conditions and horizontal silos (bunks, trenches, drive over piles) but most of the material will be applicable to any dairy operation and storage structure.
- Fermentation and Silage Science
- Forage Variety Selection & Quality Considerations
- Forage Harvest Management
- Silage Storage & Management
- TMR Mixing Procedure & Maintenance
- Feed Out and Feed Bunk Management
- Dr. Larry Chase, Cornell University
- Mat Haan, Organic Valley
- Betsy Hicks, Cornell Cooperative Extension
- Tom Kilcer, Advanced Ag Systems
- Joe Lawrence, Cornell CALS PRO-DAIRY
- Dr. Kristan Reed, Cornell University
- Dr. Bill Stone, Diamond V
How It Works
This is a seven-week course offered online using the web-based platform, Moodle. You will receive information on how to access this system after registering online.
Corresponding assignments are due each week. To get the most out of the experience, you should expect to spend approximately two hours per week on the lessons and assignments.
This course has been approved for a maximum of 2.1 CEUs from the Cornell School of Continuing Education. Upon completion of this course, you will receive a certificate notifying you of the CEUs awarded.