Education is the key to healthy and vibrant dairy communities. The dairy community is controlling its own destiny and addressing its ongoing needs through the Professional Dairy Producers Foundation competitive grant program. PDPF funds educational programs and initiatives that are consistent with our strategic vision of a professional, proactive and prepared dairy community.
The following programs will receive funding:
- Agricultural Literacy Videos: Farm Safety for Children and Youth by CESA 7 Foundation and UW-Extension. It is critically important that producers provide necessary training to keep the next generation of future farmers and farm employees safe. New educational safety training videos in Spanish will help producers overcome language barriers to training and create better communication about dairy farm safety.
- Kiel Agricultural Career Awareness day is hosted bi-annually to promote agriculture careers that are available throughout Wisconsin. Student’s experience twelve career stations that feature industry professionals talking about their jobs in agriculture. Participants will have the opportunity to engage and explore career options that will guide their educational choices in high school and beyond.
- Boots in the Barn: Strengthens Skills of Dairy Women, Iowa State University Extension & Outreach, is a production focused educational program targeted to dairy farm women that will provide focused topics and hands-on demonstration. Women participating in the program will be able to confidently bring back management skills to their dairy operation to improve efficiency and profitability of their farms.
- The Calving Corner, a full-scale dairy cow birthing center, uses the dairy calving experience to educate attendees at the annual PA Farm Show on dairy farm practices, including animal care and environmental stewardship. The Calving Corner will demonstrate to and educate consumers on how Pennsylvania’s dairy farm families care for and nurture their dairy cows and calves to ensure consistent, high quality, healthy dairy products each and every day.
- North Carolina Association for Dairy Stabilization and Growth will present an On-Farm Dairy Processing Symposium & Trade Show, a regionally-focused, 2-day symposium in response to the increased inquiries from producers regarding on-farm processing. The symposium features producer-processor speaker panels, subject matter experts, and hands-on workshops, combined with a trade/resource show. This project will focus on engaging and equipping dairy producers on the multi-faceted business aspects of on-farm processing enterprises.
The Professional Dairy Producers Foundation (PDPF) awards dollars to qualified educational programs that build producer professionalism and maintain public trust. The next granting period is ongoing with grant applications due December 1, 2018. Organizations may apply for grants of up to $5,000. For more information, visit dairyfoundation.org
The Professional Dairy Producers Foundation was established by Professional Dairy Producers of Wisconsin in 2002 as a way to raise funds and awards grants for educational programs. The Foundation is a 501(c)(3) entity. For information on programs funded and ways to donate, visit www.dairyfoundation.org.