The first online course in a new
Agricultural Supervisory Leadership certificate offered by
Cornell Agricultural Workforce Development
Transitioning to Supervisor is a six-week online course that is part of a new Agricultural Workforce Development Agricultural Supervisory Leadership certificate program.
Course Summary Supervisors are critical to the success of farm businesses. They have a major impact both on employees’ daily work experiences and on the production performance of the business. Confident managers who thoughtfully apply leadership and management skills improve employee performance, develop teams, reduce employee turnover, and increase employee engagement. The Agricultural Supervisory Leadership certificate helps farm supervisors and managers from all sectors of agriculture learn and apply human resource management practices and leadership skills that foster rewarding workplaces and drive business results. Each course within the certificate program will offer extensive practice and engagement activities to build confidence and skill sets.
This course, and the whole certificate series, is appropriate for both new and experienced farm supervisors and managers from all agriculture commodities, and those who are preparing to become supervisors. All participants will learn leadership concepts and practice skills that will improve their ability to build a positive workplace and get results through leading others
Course instructors include:
- Richard Stup, Cornell Agricultural Workforce Development Specialist
- Elizabeth Higgins, Ag Business Management/Production Economics Extension Specialist, Eastern New York Commercial Horticulture team
- Libby Eiholzer, Bilingual Dairy Specialist, Northwest New York Dairy Livestock and Field Crops team
Direct questions to Rachel McCarthy, Agricultural Supervisory Leadership Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Beginning January 28, 2021
$275.00 per person
Upcoming courses in the Agricultural Supervisory Leadership certificate program include:
- Organizing Work for High Quality Results: Develop clear expectations and standard operating procedures. Delegate effectively. Diagnose and correct performance problems.
- Managing Performance: Understand motivation. Harness the power of performance feedback and coaching. Build clear and effective workplace communications, including leading team meetings. Set safety expectations. Conduct effective performance reviews.
Transitioning to Supervisor is a six-week course offered online using the web-based platform, Moodle. From the comfort of your home or office, watch prerecorded presentations on your own schedule, and engage with classmates and instructors during weekly, live discussion sessions. Corresponding assignments are due each week. To get the most out of the experience, expect to spend approximately two hours per week on lessons and assignments.
Unique email addresses are required for each participant